Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Tonight's dinner - Chicken Crescent Roll Casserole

Tonight's dinner was another recipe I found on Pinterest.  It looked delicious!!!!  The only problem was I am sure it had a zillion calories in it.  Te recipe called for cream, cream cheese, butter, mayonaise, cheese....can you say heart attack??

So I decided to "skinnify" it and see how it turned out.  It was yummy.  The entire family liked it.  I liked that it was different than the other meals I currently have in my rotation.

Here's the recipe I used:

4 oz reduced fat cream cheese
2 tblsp butter
microwave about 30 seconds to soften.

Mix with:
3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts - cooked and chopped
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese - I used fat free
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2-4 tblsp reduced fat mayo

Sauce:
1 can reduced fat cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup 1% milk
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Combine in saucepan and heat on med-low heat until cheese melts - do not boil.

Spray 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.  Drizzle a small amount of soup mixture on the bottom of the dish.

Unroll the crescent rolls.  Place approx1 heaping tblsp of chicken mixture on top of each crescent triangle then roll up, starting at the thicker end.  Place filled roll seam down in baking dish.  Top with remaining soup mixture (you don't have to use it all).  Top with small amount of shredded cheddar cheese.

Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
Makes 16.  They are kinda small, so I did have 2.

1 stuffed roll = 257 calories, 10.5 grams fat, 7 WWpp

A couple of additional modifications I plan to try next time...
  • I don't think the chicken mixture needed any mayo or butter - I would leave that out.
  • I wouldn't add any cheese to the sauce mixture
  • I would try it with fat free cream cheese - I think there is enough other flavor that you wouldn't miss it.
According to my calculations, that would bring it down to 234 calories, 7.7 grams of fat, and 6 WWpp

Still a little high, especially the fat, but not bad for a splurge meal.  Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment